Life

Take time to see, taste and smell all the smaller things in life. Do not take a chance on missing something that could bring you pleasure from a glance, a touch or a scent.

Oldstuff

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Mental Fittness (Unit 5)


As I compared the Loving –Kindness practice with the Subtle Mind practice I felt that with both of these you can come away with a peaceful, restful attitude. They both deal with the breathing aspect of healing and this really helps keep you focused on your emotions throughout the day.  Personally these two practices work really well for me and I will continue using these techniques in the future. Comparing the two practices, I think that some may feel intimidated by the fact that they need to take in someone else’s pain and angers.  For someone who is struggling with their own stress and emotions this practice may not be good for them.



I believe the connection of spiritual wellness is directly related to mental wellness, in that once you have trained your mind to sort out all of the noises, thoughts and feeling that are cluttering your mind, this gives way to really understanding your spirituality. This will also lead to wanting to keep your physical body in as good of shape as your mind. I think it is easier to see your goals of what you want if you keep your mind clear and focused. In my case I have a long way to go in training my mind to clear the clutter. One day I can do this but the next day may not be as good. Stress is a huge issue in my life right now and it is a big red stop sign for me. It is not allowing me to get back on track of exercising regularly and thoughts and fears cause me to be more emotional.

7 comments:

  1. I can relate with somone struggling with there own stress the loving kindness exercise might be rough and distracting for them. i had a hard time personally keeping focused on the loving kindness exercise alot easier to focus on the subtle mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that spiritual wellness is related to mental wellness, that is why I think the loving-kindness was so hard. I had a hard time with that one also. I am much better with praying as it relates to loving kindness. However the subtle mind was better to me, it allowed the focus to be for me to reel in my random thoughts, that are all over the place and cause my stress level to rise also. I can relate to this, living kindness was a difficult exercise for me too. It is much better for me and I get more out of the exercise on the subtle mind.
    Thank you for sharing, hang in there.
    Deb-

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan,
    Great blog this week. I am glad that both of these exercises were beneficial for you. Just remember that you need to make time for yourself and if you can get to your exercise program that it helps to relieve stress and if nothing else you do not think about it for awhile.
    I personally enjoy the subtle mind exercise much more but I need to continue on with the loving kindness exercise as well.
    For me the connection in spiritual, mental, and physical wellness is another way of understanding integral health and how all the areas are linked to each other. When you are out of balance in one area of your life it affects other areas of your life, as you are seeing right now.
    God bless you, keep your head up high, and make the time for yourself. I will be praying for you

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you. Stress is at a high level right now for me too. I am glad both exercises worked for you, the first was pretty dificult for me. The link between spiritual, mental, and physical health cannot be denied. I find myself needing all three to be working close to max capacity for me to really feel like I'm getting anywhere in life. When one is out of synch, I feel like I've got a wobbly wheel. Good luck in maintaining balance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am also with you one hundred percent on this topic. Stress is such a huge weight that only drags us down. I find it so hard to get motivated and do what I know needs to be done. This goes for everything, doing the dishes, keeping the house tidy, going to work, exercising (which can help ease the stress). I just get so bogged down in it all. I also felt that this exercise like the first left me feeling at ease and quite. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can agree with your post. This exercise was a bit different. I think that by taking in someone else's anger it gives you a chance to expererience their feelings and their thoughts and makes you more compassionate towards that person. But like you said if you have your own underlying issues to deal with then you won't be fully accepting of this exercise.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also believe that spiritual is related to mental wellness. If we believe within our minds then it will grow withing us. Our mind body and spirit is all connected as one and when we can bring them all together as one then we are truly at peace . I think both exercises were great and each focused on something different. One focused more on love while the other was more in depth within us. See you in class. Great post. Cristina Holcomb

    ReplyDelete