Life

Take time to see, taste and smell all the smaller things in life. Do not take a chance on missing something that could bring you pleasure from a glance, a touch or a scent.

Oldstuff

Monday, January 31, 2011

Unit 7 Meditative Practices

After doing the Meeting Asciepius practice I was not sure that I liked this practice. It made me sad that I had to think of bringing someone else (even if it was someone you loved very much) into my inner self. It made me feel like someone that I am not, I can take the persons qualities in but it does not feel right that I am replacing these good feelings and qualities with my own. 


I have been doing the loving kindness practice everyday this week. I find that it keeps me at peace. I am looking forward to doing longer practices because I am back at the gym. I plan to do these practices while I am on the treadmill so this will give me more time. 


The phrase, "One cannot lead another where one has not gone himself" is very true. An example that I think of right off the top of my head would be some that read extensively about cars and how to drive one but has not actually driven themselves. You can tell someone what to do but the minute you get in that car you are not sure just how far or long you have to turn the key in order for the car to start. In the health care profession people have a right to expect that the trained experts they are seeing actually know and live by the same standards that they want patients to live by. To implement growth in my own life I have begun a fitness program and have been practicing mind calming exercises daily. I am seeing renewal in my religious spirituality also. I am now very interested in finding others in my community that are like minded in order for me to get as much as I can for my mental wellness.

2 comments:

  1. Good example! The quote reminded me of the saying "practice wha you preach." I am sorry to hear that this weeks exercise didn't sit well with you, I imagined my grandmother who is not well, she has been around for 92 years and is finally throwing in the towel. I love her and will miss her but it was nice to think of all her good qualities and then realize that many of her qualities are in me already I just hadn't looked yet! Keep doing those meditation exercises, they truly do help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the good work :) It's always nice to be able to be around like minded people. I find this very refreshing,uninhibiting and quite relaxing. I feel as though I am able to let my hair down and just be me, without the fear of being judged or criticized because of my viewpoints and beliefs. Ever since we have started on this journey of mundfulness and meditation, I too have seen an increase in my spirituality. I have begun to spend more time praying, not only for myself and my needs but for the needs of others as well. Surprisingly, I have noticed a significant increase in empathy, compassion and dedication towards the health and wellness of others. I almost feel as though I am somewhat obligated to make a difference in peoples lives, by leaving the world a better place than it was when I came into it.

    Happy trails to you,

    Ebony

    ReplyDelete